Sunday, December 2, 2007

3 Sister Casserole

I haven't quite figured out this blog thing so I don't know if this is in the right spot, but it's about beans...
We've tried this recipe and the family likes it, I love it. My husband does love it when someone adds meat to it. It makes more than you think it will so use a HUGE skillet and enjoy!
3 Sisters Casserole
1.5 tsp cumin seed
2tbsp olive oil
2 lg onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots
1 jalapeno pepper
28oz of canned tomatoes (don't drain)
1.5 c corn
3 zucchini
8oz penne, cooked
16oz cooked kidney beans
4oz cheddar, shredded

heat cumin until aromatic
add oil, onion, garlic until onion is soft
add carrots, jalapeno and tomatoes - boil
reduce to simmer (15min)
add corn and zucchini (5 min)
add beans+pasta, cover with cheese and bake until melted.
**I like the veggies a bit softer so I add the zucchini in at the beginning and I ignore the cooking times. In the spirit of water conservation and reduced dish loads I don't bake it; instead I add the cheese to the top and serve from the skillet.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Check with the manufacturer of your skillet. A great many are oven safe up to a certain temperature. Then you can take the skillet right off the stove and pop it into the oven!
We're going to give this one a try.