Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Laundering the Infamous "Blowout"

This post is in honor of my friend Wendi who is finally expecting her first little monkey and will soon be acquainted with the wonders of explosive fecal matter. One of the top reasons I swear by cloth diapers is that they PREVENT blowouts. It is my experience (but then I have gassy babies) that I'm going to be dealing with poop one way or the other. I can scrub it out of their clothes or toss it into the washing machine (in the case of BABIES at any rate). Unfortunately, because of extensive traveling, I am VERY experienced with taking care of blowout aftermath (darn disposables).

Wet poopy area of clothing with cold water.
Rub a BAR OF SOAP on the poopy area.
(Any BAR of soap should do although I recommend a cheap one since your using it to rub poop.)
Scrub soap into cloth fibers.
(Just grip the clothing on either side of the poop and scrub it against itself.)
Rinse with cold water while scrubbing until the water runs clearish.
Repeat rub and scrub but do not rinse again.
Let soapy clothing soak in cold water for at least 1/2 hour (or up to several days if stain is stubborn).
Launder as you usually do.

If you cannot (or don't want to) scrub clothes immediately, let them dry (this is critical; tying them up in a bag will cause mold and mold DOES NOT come out). Then you can either go on a poop cleaning spree or wait until you have enough clothes to do a load. If doing a load, scrub all blowout clothing and toss in washing machine to soak, then wash.

BAR SOAP and SOAKING are absolutely key. I once tried stain remover and washed immediately. The poop stayed and I wasn't ever able to get that stain out (and I'm usually pretty good at stains).

Also, drying clothes sets in stains so always check previously poopy clothes BEFORE putting them in the dryer or hang dry.

No comments: